first_imgInto the woodsHS2 is no stranger to tendering major multi-million pound contracts, but a more unusual request has been drawn to our attention – the procurement of 7 million trees to line the route the route and spruce up the landscape. The client, HS2 Ltd, is expected to announce a winner over the next few weeks, with tree specialists W Crowder and Sons, Johnsons of Whixley and a joint venture between Hillier Nurseries, Oakover Nurseries and Wyevale Nurseries, in the running for the £7m contract. Any of our readers fancy branching out?Family plotDeveloper Minerva is facing opposition from the daughter of a cinematic legend over plans to demolish Kensington’s Odeon cinema and turn it into luxury homes. Patricia Hitchcock O’Connell, daughter of director Alfred Hitchcock, has joined the fight to have the art deco building designated an asset of community value – which could afford it protection from Minerva’s already approved plans. Hitchcock, a “proud” resident of Kensington, liked to watch films at the 90-year- old cinema and his daughter said the family supported an alternative plan to turn the building into an arts centre called The Hitchcock in his honour. Other famous names supporting the cause include both Gandalf (Sir Ian McKellen) and Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch).Only connectThe Shard has been certified as one of the best buildings in the UK for broadband and telecoms connectivity. The London tower has been awarded a Platinum rating, the highest level achievable by international connectivity accreditor WiredScore. Developer Sellar’s Renzo Piano-designed building’s connectivity has apparently been instrumental in attracting its 29 occupiers. London offices can be patchy for connectivity. The rest of us can only look up with envy at those in The Shard, able to make a mobile call without having to hug a window frame.A close shaveHats off to the Education Funding Agency’s director of capital, Mike Green, who has committed to Brave the Shave for cancer charity Macmillan. Green will have his hair shaved off to raise money for the charity, with a fundraising goal of £3,000. Explaining why he has decided to Brave the Shave, Green said: “I have seen the devastation that cancer can cause and we should put every effort into fighting back and ensuring that those suffering and their families receive the best support possible.”Match of the dayA football player for the little-known Irish team Dundalk has been the architect of his team’s success – quite literally – as they chased a place in Europe’s premier competition the Champions League, before Building went to press this week. David McMillan, whose day job is as an assistant architect at the Dublin-based practice O’Brien Finucane Architects, scored five goals in the early qualifying rounds to set up a tie with Polish champions Legia Warsaw for a coveted group stage place. County Louth-based Dundalk FC – known as the Lilywhites – trailed Legia 2-0 heading into the second leg in Warsaw on Tuesday evening. Yet, despite his recent success on Europe’s biggest stage, the footballer/architect has no plans to quit his work in the built environment. McMillan explained: “Unless you move to the Premier League, which ain’t going to happen, this is as good as it gets.”Sign of the timesBuilding readers will know that the hit “augmented reality” game Pokémon Go has prompted some players to trespass on construction sites in their efforts to catch the randomly-appearing digital monsters, as our investigation into 50-plus trespassing instances highlighted earlier this month. Some contractors are certainly taking the issue seriously, as evidenced by this warning outside a Bam Construct site (pictured). Contractors’ trade body Build UK has also voiced its concerns since our report, with a warning sent to members to keep site boundaries secure to keep out pesky Pokémon players. If you want to report an issue with the game to its developer Niantic visit bit.ly/29G1qgP.Send any juicy industry gossip to hansom@ubm.comlast_img read more

first_imgPeople considering talking to the media about a sensitive issue should first seek out a lawyer, according to latest government advice. It appears in guidance published last week by the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport for handling media attention after a major incident. Recent terror attacks and disasters such as the Grenfell Tower fire have naturally attracted considerable media attention, thrusting members of the public into the spotlight often without any idea how to handle the attention. The guidance says that communicating with the media in a controlled way can be a positive expeirence and may reduce the number of enquiries people have to field. But the advice cautions that providing information may also lead to more coverage and could affect any investigations that might be ongoing. It adds: ’You should remember that you do not have to answer any questions, but the media could use any information that you give them – even if you tell them something in confidence or off the record. Alternatively, you could also ask a friend, family member or employer to speak to the press on your behalf. If you want to speak on a sensitive matter you might wish to consider seeking the advice of a lawyer.’ Readers are made aware that the media might use information in the public domain such as the electoral roll and social media feeds.  Anyone concerned about intrusions into their personal life are advised to have a trusted person look after their phone and filter calls for them, as well as to tell friends, family and colleagues not to speak with the press. The guidance adds: ‘Dealing with the media can sometimes be distressing and daunting. It is your decision whether or not to speak to journalists. While it may not feel like it, you are in control of this. Remember if you do not want to, you do not have to.’last_img read more

first_imgLocal residents in need of food are welcome to attend a community mobile food pantry, held on Saturday, July 21, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., at the Tawheed Center, 29707 W. 10 Mile Rd., in Farmington Hills.The Tawheed Center hosts the pantry with Muslim Family Services on the third Saturday of each month.For more information, call 248-252-6962. Reported by Farmington Voice Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_img[av_one_full first min_height=” vertical_alignment=” space=” custom_margin=” margin=’0px’ padding=’0px’ border=” border_color=” radius=’0px’ background_color=” src=” background_position=’top left’ background_repeat=’no-repeat’ animation=”][av_heading heading=’PSL-F2 Logistics falls short in FIVB World volley debut   ‘ tag=’h3′ style=’blockquote modern-quote’ size=” subheading_active=’subheading_below’ subheading_size=’15’ padding=’10’ color=” custom_font=”]By ADRIAN STEWART CO[/av_heading][av_textblock size=” font_color=” color=”]MANILA – The Philippine Superliga-F2 Logistics suffered a 25-15, 25-13, 25-20 straight-set loss to Rexona-Sesc Rio at the start of the 2016 FIVB Women’s Club World Championship on Tuesday night at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City.Ana Carolina Da Silva led the way with 13 points, including a league-record of 10 blocks, while Anne Bujis and Gabriela Braga Guimaraes combined 24 markers, including eight attacks, for the South American champions Rexona Secs.The PSL-F2 Logistics kept the game close early behind Kim Fajardo, Yevgeniya Nyukhalova and Stephanie Niemer for a 9-all score. But errors from the home squad allowed the Rexona Secs to build a 16-10 lead.More errors by the PSL-F2 Logistics followed by hits from Da Silva and Guimaraes extended Rexona Secs lead to 20-13. After back-to-back hits by the Manila team, the Rexona Secs ended the match behind Juicely Barreto.The Rexona Secs started strong in the second frame as it built a quick 8-1 lead. The PSL-F2 Logistics got hits from Nyukhalova and Niemes but the Brazilian team were still ahead 14-5.The PSL-F2 Logistics then had a mini-run behind Rachel Anne Daquis, Jovelyn Gonzaga and Fajardo for a 16-11 deficit but the Rexona Secs countered with a 9-2 run to snatch the second set.The PSL-F2 Logistics opened the third set with an 8-3 lead courtesy of Niemer, Fajardo, Lindsay Stalzer, and Nyukhalova. Consecutive hits from Stalzer and Jaja Santiago increased the lead to 14-7.But the Rexona Secs quickly countered with its own rally to tie the score at 15-all. The PSL-F2 Logistics regained a 19-17 lead, however, the Rexona Secs went on a finishing run behind De Silva for a straight set win.Niemer finished with 13 points, on 12 attacks and one block, for the PSL-F2 Logistics, which will return to action tonight against the Pomi Casalmaggiore of Italy, which hopes to recover from a 25-17, 25-18, 25-15 loss to reigning titlist Eczasibasi VitrA Istanbul./PN [/av_textblock][/av_one_full]last_img read more

first_imgThe winners of the Leon Chess Club 1st Blitz Tournament 2018. PHOTO COURTESY OF IPCADANIEL Baylosis and Nielstein Gallenero claimed the titles in the Under 18 and Under 13 categories of the Leon Chess Club 1st Blitz Tournament 2018 on Saturday at the Tourism Building of Leon, Iloilo.Leon native Baylosis captured the overall championship in Under 18 while Novy Cantallopez, Leonard Candado and Dan Daven Vailuces settled for runner-up finishes.Baylosis bagged the top prize of P900 to go along with a medal, a certificate and a T-shirt. Cantallopez, Candado and Vailuces had P600, P300 and P100 cash, respectively, plus a medal, a certificate and a T-shirt.Gallenero, a native of San Miguel town, was the overall winner in Under 13 with Theo Adrian Aquio, Via Joy Enot and Joxuah Tabilog finishing behind him.Gallenero took home the top prize of P900 while Aquio, Enot and Tabilog had P600, P300 and P100, respectively. Each of them received a medal, a certificate and a T-shirt.Ray Cabarles, Iloilo provincial sports development officer and Iloilo Science and Technology University alumni president, organized the one-day tournament./PN[/av_textblock][/av_one_full] The winners of the Leon Chess Club 1st Blitz Tournament 2018. PHOTO COURTESY OF IPCA [av_one_full first min_height=” vertical_alignment=” space=” custom_margin=” margin=’0px’ padding=’0px’ border=” border_color=” radius=’0px’ background_color=” src=” background_position=’top left’ background_repeat=’no-repeat’ animation=”][av_heading heading=’Baylosis, Gallenero top Leon chess blitz’ tag=’h3′ style=’blockquote modern-quote’ size=’30’ subheading_active=’subheading_below’ subheading_size=’18’ padding=’10’ color=” custom_font=” av-medium-font-size-title=” av-small-font-size-title=” av-mini-font-size-title=” av-medium-font-size=” av-small-font-size=” av-mini-font-size=” admin_preview_bg=”]BY ADRIAN STEWART CO[/av_heading][av_textblock size=” font_color=” color=” av-medium-font-size=” av-small-font-size=” av-mini-font-size=” admin_preview_bg=”]Monday, March 12, 2018[/av_textblock][av_textblock size=’18’ font_color=” color=” av-medium-font-size=” av-small-font-size=” av-mini-font-size=” admin_preview_bg=”]last_img read more

first_imgManchester United will not go above £90million, in their bid to bring Gareth Bale back to the Premier League.According to Dario Gol, the Red Devils are still very keen on signing Bale, despite manager Jose Mourinho stating that it was “game over”.The former Spurs star cost Madrid £86m and the club would like to make a decent profit off of him.However, this week, Bale admitted that he expects United to compete strongly on all fronts this season.“United did very well (in the Super Cup). They gave us a difficult game and I’m sure they’ll do fantastic this season.“I think it’s getting there, obviously I think by bringing Mourinho in, it’s kind of boosted the club, by winning a few trophies last year, it did them great, and I think they’re getting back to where they belong.“I see no reason why they can’t do well in the Champions League, he’s a great manager, he’s done everything in football, he knows what he’s doing and I’m sure he’s building a great team for what he hopes to achieve there,” the former Tottenham man said.last_img read more

first_img Related TopicsEastlake NorthEastlake North FootballEastlake North RangersmayfieldMayfield FootballMayfield Wildcats by Michael BohmMAYFIELD, OHIO– On a cool fall night in mid-October, two teams entered Friday night’s matchup in Mayfield looking to extend their respective winning streaks to three. Only one would emerge victorious.In this case, where both the Wildcats of Mayfield and Rangers of Eastlake North would go back and forth all night long, the Rangers were able to maintain their poise just long enough to halt the Mayfield offense and pull away for the win, 31-16.For the second consecutive week, Mayfield was without their captain and starting quarterback ,Jake Dostal. Freshman Michael Huss was handed the start and, for the most part, did not disappoint. But, when it came down to the nitty-gritty end, the Wildcat offense simply could not spark a long drive as they had all night, and fell to the Rangers.Mayfield struck first on a field goal after driving down the field.Eastlake would come right back, marching down the turf and capping the drive off with an impressive grab in the corner from quarterback Jake Tanski to wideout Kenny Streb for 14 yards. A two-point conversion would make the score 8-3.The ensuing Wildcat drives would end on a sensational catch from Huss to leading receiver Bobby Casey, who leaped and reached over the helmet of the defender in front of him to snatch the ball away for a 21-yard score in the corner to regain the lead at 9-8.A Rangers’ field goal would send the two teams into the locker rooms at halftime with North leading, 11-8.With the third quarter came the emergence of tailback Brett Payne, whose immense power literally carried this offense, and this time led to the five-yard touchdown, bouncing off tacklers and diving forward to extend their lead, 19-9. This play was set up after a third and 16 conversion from Tanski to Streb who made a 360-degree spin to haul in the back shoulder pass inside the 10.Mayfield was not done, however, as Huss found Casey over the middle, and bursted through two defenders before a race to the pylon for the 25-yard score to close the gap to 19-16. Casey finished with 125 yards and two touchdowns on six receptions.Eastlake was able to answer, thanks again to Streb, who brought in a pass that was eerily similar to his last grab, this time in the back corner for a 24-yard touchdown to pull ahead 25-16. Streb managed 109 yards on just five receptions, receiving half of Tanski’s 10 completions.Mayfield had plenty of opportunities to once again take the lead, but a number of turnovers on downs and penalties wound up costing them dearly after a very disciplined first half.North’s final scoring drive included a fourth and 20, in which they elected to go for it and a pass interference call set them up inside the five, before Payne carried it in from one yard out to go up, 31-16. Payne carried the ball a total of 38 times, notching 157 yards.Perhaps the most intriguing discrepancy in the game was Tanski. The quarterback entered Friday’s matchup with only three touchdown passes and nine interceptions while connecting on fewer than 50 percent of his passes. This time, though, he finished at 67 percent with no interceptions, and the two scores to Streb.Mayfield owned this series, winning nine of their previous ten, but the Rangers won last year, and again on Friday night.Both teams now stand at 4-4 on the season.Game Ball(s): Streb and Payne, totaling 266 offensive yards and four touchdowns. NEO HS Stafflast_img read more

first_imgA self-confessed animal lover, Colbath says the Borough needs some basic rules for animal protection and responsibility. Mayor Mike Navarre previously encouraged residents to form a proposal, but Colbath says they need a Borough-established work group to form the plan… FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Tim Colbath runs the Nikiski Extended Life Animal Sanctuary and is one of the most vocal proponents of Borough-wide animal control. Colbath and others will petition the Borough at tonight’s 6pm Assembly meeting. His goal is to have the task force in place by June 2.center_img Colbath: “Otherwise you’ve just got a bunch of people that are meeting with no authority to bring anything forward.last_img read more

first_imgFacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享U.S. Senator Lisa Murkowski will make a brief stop in Kenai this Wednesday, August 19th. Soldotna Chamber Executive Director Tami Murray said the state’s senior U.S. Senator will be a guest of honor at a joint Chamber luncheon. Afterwards, Senator Murkowski will participate in the Kenai River Sportfishing Association’s roundtable discussion on recreational fishing in Alaska. Murray: “Alaska Oil and Gas Association will be there, giving us some updates, and then Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski will be giving a Spirit of Enterprise award from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. It’s going to be a packed house. Definitely recommending RSVP-ing, because AOGA will be there in force, so they’re going to be taking up quite a bit of room.” To RSVP for Wednesday’s lunch, call either the Kenai (283-1991) or Soldotna (262-9814) Chambers of Commerce.last_img read more

first_imgSecondly, how the city implements marijuana regulations… Molloy: “That was really a big issue in why the plan that we did in 2013 failed, was overturned by the voters. They didn’t want to see strip development all throughout the highway but more commercial hubs like there are now. So people were afraid that that might change.” Molloy will appear on today’s, September 16, Tall, Dark, and Handsome show from 4-5 pm. While canvassing Kenai residents, he heard two top concerns, the first being the city’s comprehensive plan, particularly strip development along the Kenai Spur Highway… Molloy: “People seem to be pretty supportive of commercial business in Kenai.” Molloy said he’s running again because he has unfinished business on council that he would like to see through. FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享He’s already served on the Kenai City Council for ten years and Bob Molloy is campaigning for another three-year-term. Molloy: “We started a review of the purchasing code which hasn’t been reviewed in ten years, that’s a project that I initiated and am working on with Council Member [Henry] Knackstedt and I’m hoping to see that through. Again there’s unfinished business with the comprehensive plan and then there’s the new business of zoning and commercial marijuana business and where that should be safely located in town.” Keep tuning in for more local municipal election Candidate Snapshots from the KSRM News Department.last_img read more