first_imgSmart hosts first 5G-powered esports exhibition match in PH Chinese-manned vessel unsettles Bohol town Smart’s Siklab Saya: A multi-city approach to esports We are young PBA IMAGESFinally, GlobalPort can turn over a new leaf.Haunted by their monumental collapse last week, the Batang Pier exorcised their demons and came away with a 97-89 victory over the Meralco Bolts on Friday.ADVERTISEMENT “I did not want to let my team feel that I abandoned them.”But he didn’t have to as the devastating loss to the Fuel Masters alone served as enough motivation for the Batang Pier to bounce back.“Palagi yun nasa isip namin. Yun yung topic namin kung paano kami magme-maintain ng lamang namin at hindi na mahahabol,” GlobalPort guard Terrence Romeo said.“Kagaya ng game ngayon, lamang kami tapos nahabol pa rin. Na-sustain lang namin nung mga last minute. Pano kung hindi na naman namin na-agapan. Ang sakit na naman, di ba?” he continued as the Batang Pier once again lost hold of a 16-point edge in the first half.(That’s always in our minds. That’s what we always talk about, on how we’ll maintain our lead. Like in today’s game, we were leading but they were still able to catch up. We just sustained it during those last minutes. What if we weren’t able to secure it again. That would be tough, right?)ADVERTISEMENT EDITORS’ PICK Warriors squander Curry’s 40 points, lose to Grizzlies in OT Senators to proceed with review of VFA MOST READ Ginebra teammates show love for Slaughtercenter_img Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award PLAY LIST 01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award01:30’Excited’ Terrence Romeo out to cherish first PBA finals appearance01:55Off-duty cops to report to camps on New Year’s eve to avoid indiscriminate firing01:31Taiwan minister boards cruise ship turned away by Japan01:33WHO: ‘Global stocks of masks and respirators are now insufficient’01:01WHO: now 31,211 virus cases in China 102:02Vitamin C prevents but doesn’t cure diseases like coronavirus—medic03:07’HINDI PANG-SPORTS LANG!’03:03SILIP SA INTEL FUND PH among economies most vulnerable to virus Consider it lesson learned, though, as GlobalPort refused to sink despite the spirited fightback from Meralco.Pumaren praised his wards for rising through the adversity as it now looks forward to the remainder of the 2017 PBA Philippine Cup.“There was a little pressure with our players, but when we stick to our game plan, we can survive that kind of games,” he said. “At least we survived, that’s what’s important.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Where did they go? Millions left Wuhan before quarantine Chinese-manned vessel unsettles Bohol town Shanghai officials reveal novel coronavirus transmission modes Taking notes from its heartbreaking 101-99 loss to Phoenix last Dec. 28 where it squandered a 26-point lead in the fourth quarter, GlobalPort made sure there won’t be any meltdowns as it held off the Bolts and averted another collapse.READ: Phoenix overcomes 26-point deficit, stuns GlobalPortFEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra teammates show love for SlaughterSPORTSFreddie Roach: Manny Pacquiao is my Muhammad AliSPORTSWe are young“Bad experience for us last game when we were ahead and we weren’t able to keep our composure together,” said coach Franz Pumaren. “This game, we stuck to our own gameplan and we stuck to our system.”The defeat hit the team so hard that Pumaren had to cut short his business trip in Europe. Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

first_img The PLCA said it had ‘advanced or forwarded to the JFF the entire outstanding sum due to the referees and their assessors after this sum was duly reconciled with the said referees/assessors.’ The association also said that it has written to the JFF making what it believes to be a ‘fair and workable proposal’ to resolve the grant to be paid to MBU. However, it declined to go into details about what was proposed. “As a matter of principle, the PLCA cannot disclose the details of its proposal until it is discussed by the parties,” the release said. The PLCA also asked the JFF to lift its postponement of the commencement of the RSPL so that the competition can start on Sunday, September 17, 2017. Meanwhile, JFF presidential candidate Michael Ricketts said that the matter needs to be sorted out as quickly as possible as football is suffering as a result. “It is extremely unfortunate,” Ricketts said. “I am hoping that there’s a speedy resolution to the issues preventing the start of the premiership.” Ricketts’ presidential opponent, Ambassador Stewart Stephenson, however, refused to comment on the matter. The Premier League Clubs Association (PLCA) is moving to resolve the problems which have forced the postponement of the start of the 2017-18 Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) season. The RSPL was set to start on September 3, but the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) stepped in and delayed the kick-off . It (JFF) pointed to administrative failings on the part of the PLCA which needed urgent remedy. Among the items listed was the failure of the PLCA to deliver grants to Montego Bay United (MBU) equal to those received by other teams which participated in the 2016-17 season. The JFF also pointed to the more than $4 million owed to referees and other match officials for work done last season. In a statement released by the PLCA yesterday, the body said that it is working with the JFF to reach what it described as an “amicable resolution” to these issues, to allow for the start of this season’s RSPL. Outstanding sums advancedlast_img read more

first_imgThe victims of the notorious “Salt Fish” criminal gang are claiming that they have been given the royal run-around by the Police as they try to get information relating to their home invasion at Good Hope, East Coast Demerara (ECD) last Sunday.Michael Basdeo, the primary victim of the home invasion, indicated to this newspaper that they were being treated as if they were “the criminals”.The home where the stolen articles were foundRobbery victim Michael Basdeo“On more than three occasions, I tried contacting the Police at the Vigilance Police Station to get information on the matter, but it seems as if they don’t want me to get justice,” Basdeo said.He is fearful for his safety and that of his family as he believes the gang is capable of returning. He indicated that the gang was well-known to the Police, and one officer who visited his home after the robbery was reported told him that “these man them does spin back”.The distraught man went on to vent his frustration about the system of justice, saying he did not know why the Police were not telling him the names of the individuals who were in custody, what they looked like or even how many of them were arrested.To make matters worse, Basdeo said that he was not informed of the proper date to attend court, resulting in him being absent when the case was called.According to Basdeo, the exact date of the next hearing seems to be uncertain, as the date reported in local newspapers and the date they were told differed and when he tried contacting the Police, the officers hung up on him.Basdeo is also puzzled as to why his stolen laptop was confiscated as evidence and his car, which happens to be significantly damaged, was not secured as evidence and its theft was only considered “simple larceny”.The gang allegedly sneaked into the Lot 81 Good Hope, ECD home around 02:30h and escaped with a quantity of cash and valuables, including Basdeo’s car. Basdeo retrieved his mangled car, which was found abandoned at Market Street, Annandale, ECD. The bandits had crashed his car into a stall and made good their escape.Individuals around the area who had witnessed the accident described the occupants who exited the vehicle as the “notorious Salt Fish gang”, and pointed the Police and Basdeo in the direction of their home in Annandale.Arrests were made as a result of finding a number of Basdeo’s stolen articles in the alleged bandits’ home.This led to a mother and her two sons appearing before Magistrate Alisha George at the Cove and John Magistrate’s Court on larceny charges. The woman, Mansoon Mohammed, was charged with unlawful possession, but pleaded not guilty and was placed on $40,000 bail. Her sons, Zaman and Hazihidiri Mohamed were also charged with seven counts of larceny and break and enter. They too pleaded not guilty, but the prosecution objected to bail. They were remanded to prison.last_img read more

first_img0Shares0000London, June 29- Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand has suggested Liverpool should consider putting star-player Luis Suarez up for sale.Uruguay striker Suarez is serving a FIFA four-month ban after biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini during a group match at the World Cup in Brazil. He will sit out a further nine games through suspension which affects the Reds, who are set for a more demanding campaign with UEFA Champions League football.In his column for the Mail Online, Ferdinand believes the Merseysiders should target Alexis Sanchez as part of a deal with Barcelona, who have shown interested in Suarez.“If I were the chief executive or the money man at Liverpool, I’d have him up for sale already,” the 35-year-old centre-back wrote.“The issue is one of risk and what might happen in the future given a pattern of behaviour. Keeping Suarez may potentially cost Liverpool tens of millions of pounds. Perhaps 70-million or more.“How so? If he went somewhere else this summer – Spain, I guess, with Barcelona and Real Madrid showing recent interest and having the money – Liverpool cash in on their biggest asset.“Yes, it will be a tough ask to replace such quality, but if all the proceeds and more were re-invested in a proven striker, it might make sense.”Ferdinand added: “If Liverpool don’t sell him and he bites someone else after his ban ends, he could be thrown out for years. The solution to the Suarez situation could be that if Barca do want him, I’d demand Alexis Sanchez in a swap deal.“If I were the Liverpool manager there wouldn’t be a moment’s doubt about what to do next with Luis Suarez. I’d keep him.“Leave aside, just for a moment, questions of morality or whether his ban is long enough and what is going on is his head to make him do these extraordinarily bad things.“Purely and simply from a football perspective, what he does for you on the pitch – and I don’t mean biting people – makes him indispensable. “And with the season Liverpool have ahead of them, that’s truer than ever. So that’s the football decision. It’s an easy one to make.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

first_img0Shares0000SUNDERLAND, November 28- Jose Mourinho will attempt to overturn a landmark defeat when Premier League leaders Chelsea visit Sunderland this weekend.The last time the two clubs met was in April when Gus Poyet’s Sunderland’s side –- then rooted at the foot of the table — pulled off a shock win at Stamford Bridge. Defeat brought an end to Mourinho’s 77-game unbeaten home league run in two spells as Chelsea manager and helped derail the Blues title bid.Mourinho’s side have not lost in the league since and last weekend’s one-sided dismissal of West Bromwich Albion helped extend the club’s lead at the head of the Premier League to six points after just 12 games.The 5-0 victory at Schalke in midweek confirmed Chelsea’s place in the knockout stage of the Champions League and extended the Blues’ unbeaten start to the season to 19 games in all competitions.A demanding schedule between now and the turn of the year will test Mourinho’s squad, but with their main rivals regularly dropping points, it is hard to see their commanding lead being whittled away in the foreseeable future.Unlike other leading Premier League clubs, Chelsea have managed to negotiate the opening months of the campaign without losing key players to long-term injury.And defender Branislav Ivanovic said: “We are playing as a team at the moment. It’s still an early stage of the year and we know how many games we have to play until the end of the season to win trophies. We have games every three days now.“At the moment we are very calm and everyone is thinking in the same direction,” he added.Cesc Fabregas had a hand in four of the goals that crushed Schalke and the Spain midfielder said he was playing the best football of his career following his close season switch from Barcelona.“I am playing next to great players and they are playing very well and are helping me,” the former Arsenal playmaker said. “We have a young, talented team and the mood at the training ground is great.”– Great escape –Connor Wickham scored in Sunderland’s 2-1 win in west London seven months ago that helped them pull off their escape from relegation, and the former England Under-21 international insisted another surprise result shouldn’t be ruled out.Poyet’s mid-table Black Cats face a tough run of fixtures heading into December, with defending champions Manchester City following the leaders in visiting the Stadium of Light.“We know we can do it from our performances last year,” Wickham said. “We just need to play the way we have been playing, and hopefully it’ll happen again.“We had the same situation last season when we faced Manchester City, Chelsea and Manchester United in quick succession, but we managed to pull off something remarkable then.”Sunderland have lost just three times in the league this season. But seven draws leaves them too close to the relegation zone for comfort.Wickham added: “We’ve probably had too many draws which we could have won.”Former Chelsea midfielder Poyet is relishing his latest meeting with the Blues after helping the club lift the FA Cup and European Cup Winners’ Cup during a successful four-year spell following his arrival at Stamford Bridge in 1997.The Sunderland head coach said: “I had a great time there, but my focus is fully on Sunderland. It will be nice to catch up with a few old friends, but as soon as the game kicks-off, I won’t see anything other than our red and white.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

first_img Guilherme Siqueira Juventus have opened contract talks with Chelsea target Guilherme Siqueira.The Atletico Madrid left-back is expected to leave the Vicente Calderon as Diego Simeone closes in on a deal to re-sign Stamford Bridge defender Filipe Luis.It means Siqueira, 29, is surplus to requirements in the Spanish capital, despite only joining Atleti from Granada last summer for £m.Juve are eager to take the Brazilian on a season-long loan deal with a view to a permanent switch, while Jose Mourinho is also keen on a similar arrangement for the former Benfica defender.According to Sky Sport Italia, Juve boss Massimiliano Allegri held talks with Siqueira and the player’s representatives on Thursday night in a bid to convince him to move to the reigning Serie A holders.It is thought Siqueira is keen to move back to Italy, having previously had spells as a youth star at Inter Milan and Lazio before senior first-team football at Udinese. 1last_img read more

first_img Jose Mourinho 1 Inter Milan president Erick Thohir has denied claims the club are trying to hire former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho.The Italian side were top of Serie A at Christmas but have since slipped to fifth in the table after a poor run of form.It has led to claims that current boss Roberto Mancini could be sacked, with Mourinho taking his place.The Portuguese manager won the Champions League with Inter in 2010 and has recently been linked with the Manchester United job.But while Mourinho may be off to Old Trafford, Thohir has insisted he will not be returning to the San Siro.“I met Mourinho in Jakarta a few years ago before I was Inter President,” Thohir told Sky Italia.“He’s a great coach, he made history with Inter, but we have Mancini now who also wrote history with this club, achieving excellent results. I firmly believe he can revive the team.“Look what’s already changed compared to Inter last year, though of course we need more time.”last_img read more

first_imgHinchcliffe starts second a week after his concussion in the Grand Prix of Indianapolis. Will Power joins them on the front row.Three-time Indy 500 champion Helio Castroneves is fourth followed by Simon Pagenaud and Marco Andretti. Carlos Munoz, Josef Newgarden and J.R. Hilderbrand are on the third row.Juan Pablo Montoya had the fastest four-lap average among drivers ineligible to win the Indianapolis 500 pole and will start 10th.Montoya averaged 231.007 mph and is 10th. He’s followed by reigning series champion Scott Dixon and former NASCAR champion Kurt Busch.Busch is set to race 1,100 miles in the Indianapolis 500 and the Coca-Cola 600 on May 25. Busch raced in NASCAR’s All-Star race the night before and flew back from Concord, North Carolina, on Sunday morning.Defending 500 champion Tony Kanaan starts 16th.Carpenter, an Indianapolis native and stepson of former speedway executive Tony George, owns his own team and decided in November to run only on ovals, where he excels. He turned his car over to Mike Conway on road and street courses, and has the top spot in his first race of the year.“It was a harder run than last year,” Carpenter said. “I knew what the average was, so I was just hanging on. I was surprised last year. Obviously, we felt good this year that we had a chance this year. But it’s all about the race.”Carpenter, the stepson of former speedway executive Tony George, was 10th in last year’s Indy 500. He is 11th driver to earn consecutive 500 poles and the first since Castroneves in 2009-10.“Hopefully, we can close the deal this year,” he said.As a single-car team last year, Carpenter was unable to get help on data and much-needed setup information. He didn’t want a repeat this May, so he hired Hildebrand to drive a second car at Indy for Ed Carpenter Racing. Hildebrand nearly won the Indy 500 as a rookie in 2011, but he crashed exiting the final turn and was passed for the win by the late Dan Wheldon.Carpenter thrived in the first year of a new Indy 500 qualifying format. He had the car to beat after posting the top qualifying speed on Saturday. The fastest nine drivers advanced to Sunday’s shootout for the pole.Hinchcliffe appeared to have no problems in the car days after he was cleared to return for his concussion. He paced as he watched Carpenter make his final run, then his chance at the pole end when Carpenter found more speed on his final lap.For the first time, IndyCar awarded points based on qualifying runs. The top qualifier on Saturday earned 33 points, second place got 32 and so on, all the way to one point for the 33rd-place entrant.The pole winner earned another nine points Sunday, decreasing to one point for the ninth-place starter. Ed Carpenter won the Indianapolis 500 pole for the second straight year, posting a four-lap average of 231.067 mph.He was the last of the nine fastest qualifiers to hit the track Sunday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. He knocked off James Hinchcliffe on the last lap to start first on the May 25 race.last_img read more