first_imgRelatedRent Restriction Act Being Amended Rent Restriction Act Being Amended UncategorizedJune 6, 2008 RelatedRent Restriction Act Being Amended RelatedRent Restriction Act Being Amendedcenter_img FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail The Rent Restriction Act is being amended to ensure that the rights of landlords and tenants are equally protected, and to provide the mechanism to enable speedy resolution of disputes.This was disclosed by Minister of Water and Housing, Dr. Horace Chang, during his presentation in the 2008/09 Sectoral Debate in the House of Representatives, yesterday (June 4).Dr. Chang said this amendment was necessary as, “while it is the dream of most persons to own their home, the reality is that, no matter what mechanism a Government puts in place to provide shelter, this dream will never be realized by all.”“In fact, depending on the stage of life that persons are at, it may be more advantageous to pursue other forms of living arrangements. It is for this reason, that the Ministry is taking steps to revitalize and encourage new investments in the rental market,” the Minister added.On another matter, Dr. Chang said the Mortgage Insurance Act has been introduced into the Lower House, and its accompanying Regulations have already been amended to increase the ceiling for secondary mortgage from $500 million to $2.5 billion.“Among the benefits of the amendment to this piece of legislation are an increase in the amount of funds for primary financing, that can be made available to mortgage granting institutions, and greater coverage for risks in cases of default on mortgage payments,” Dr. Chang explained.“This will lead to: reduced down payment for purchasers; a significant increase in the housing stock and by extension, more mortgages, which will increase the pool of funds available to support a secondary mortgage market,” he added.Dr. Chang argued that the end result of these changes would be greater economic stability for the country, generated by the inflow of equity in the housing sector through the investments. Advertisementslast_img read more

first_imgHomeLifeHealthCovid-19May brings slight increase in Coronavirus cases Jun. 05, 2020 at 6:00 amCovid-19FeaturedHealthNewsMay brings slight increase in Coronavirus casesMadeleine Pauker1 year agocoronavirus casespublic health The number of coronavirus cases confirmed in Santa Monica in May slightly exceeded the number reported in April, according to public health records.One hundred and fourteen cases were confirmed during the month of May, compared to 106 in April. Thirty-two new cases have been reported since last Thursday, which could reflect an uptick in transmission in early May as officials began allowing curbside pickup at stores and reopening some outdoor spaces. The number of new cases had been trending down in previous weeks.As of Thursday, there were 205 confirmed cases in local nursing homes, 77 among staff and 128 among residents. Twenty-eight deaths have been reported since the pandemic began.The Rehabilitation Center of Santa Monica, Beachwood Post-Acute & Rehab and Ocean Pointe Healthcare Center continue to report the most cases. Only one death has been reported among the other five Santa Monica nursing homes with outbreaks.About 7,500 Santa Monica residents have been tested for coronavirus to date, according to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health.Officials closed Santa Monica College’s walk-up testing site and other sites in the county for the last few days as people took to the streets to protest police violence.The Department of Public Health said in a statement that people engaging in protests should wear a face covering securely over their nose and mouth and keep six feet apart from others not in their household. People with symptoms or those who have been exposed to people who have tested positive for COVID-19 should stay home for 14 days.“Public Health joins the many voices expressing dismay, anger, and frustration at the murder of George Floyd by police, and supports the need for LA County residents to stand together against racism and violence,” the department’s statement said.The current health officer order allows for in-person dining at restaurants and hair salons to reopen with physical distancing and infection control protocols.Bars, pubs, breweries and wineries that do not offer sit-down, dine-in meals, as well as other higher-risk businesses, remain [email protected] :coronavirus casespublic healthshare on Facebookshare on Twitteradd a commentGallery: Thursday’s peaceful protestSanta Monica police chief says she had “no intelligence” that looters would capitalize on protestYou Might Also LikeFeaturedNewsBobadilla rejects Santa Monica City Manager positionMatthew Hall6 hours agoNewsBruised but unbowed, meme stock investors are back for moreAssociated Press17 hours agoNewsWedding boom is on in the US as vendors scramble to keep upAssociated Press17 hours agoNewsCouncil picks new City ManagerBrennon Dixson17 hours agoFeaturedNewsProtesting parents and Snapchat remain in disagreement over child protection policiesClara Harter17 hours agoFeaturedNewsDowntown grocery to become mixed use developmenteditor17 hours agolast_img read more

first_imgThe championship situation in the NASCAR Xfinity Series continues to be an intense game of one-upmanship among three of the brightest young racing stars.Friday night’s Circle K Firecracker 250 Powered by Coca-Cola (7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN/NBC Sports App, MRN and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio) may be a good opportunity for a new driver to celebrate in Victory Lane and earn a shot at this year’s title.RELATED: Full Daytona schedule | Series standingsEntering the race, three drivers – Tyler Reddick, Cole Custer and Christopher Bell – have combined to win 11 of the season’s 15 races, including Custer’s win at Chicagoland Speedway just last week. A member of this trio has hoisted trophies in the last nine consecutive races.But Daytona International Speedway always presents a unique challenge and opportunity. Only one time in the last decade has an Xfinity Series regular won this summer Daytona race – William Byron in his 2017 Xfinity championship season. Last year, Cup star Kyle Larson held off Xfinity title contender Elliott Sadler by a mere .005-second in the closest July race finish in history.Ironically, Reddick’s win in February 2018 – also over Sadler – marked the closest finish in NASCAR national series history: a .0004-second photo finish. The driver of the No. 2 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet is the only one of this year’s Triumphant Trio who has won an Xfinity race previously at Daytona. He has a pair of top-10 finishes in five starts there.Bell, who drives the No. 20 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota, has two top-10 finishes in three Daytona starts, and his team is undoubtedly eager to rebound from a disqualification last week at Chicago that dropped him from second to third in the title standings.Custer, the driver of the No. 00 Stewart-Haas Racing Ford, has yet to earn a top-10 in five starts at Daytona. His best showing is 14th, and he has done that twice – in February 2018 and 2019.Five other drivers scored their best result of the season at Daytona earlier this year, including Justin Allgaier – a five-time race winner in 2018 – who is still looking for his first victory of the year. He finished runner-up this February.last_img read more

first_imgUK: Transport Minister Lord Adonis accompanied Southeastern Managing Director Charles Horton on a special trip from Ashford to St Pancras International on board a Hitachi Class 395 trainset on December 12. Marking the start of a one-year countdown to the launch of high speed domestic services on High Speed 1 in December 2009, the trip took 37 min compared with present Ashford – London timings of more than an hour. The train is the second of four pre-production trainsets being tested ahead of delivery of the rest of the 29-strong fleet – the first eight cars in the production fleet are due to reach the port of Southampton from Japan in late January. At the moment the trains are still the property of Hitachi, and the first handover to Southeastern is not envisaged until mid-April. Southeastern is currently training more than 100 drivers on the Class 395 fleet, which is fitted with TVM430 train control and KVB train protection equipment for operation on HS1. Each train has 348 one-class seats in six air-conditioned pressure-sealed cars. Southeastern Commercial Director Vince Lucas said that the service is ‘an opportunity to offer passengers more choice’; the company plans to publish its draft December 2009 timetable on its website in the near future. Chiaki Ueda, Executive General Manager of Hitachi Europe Ltd’s Rail Group, said that ‘everything is running to time’.last_img read more

first_imgFriday 12/5 Monday 12/1 Borough to Further Investigate Land for Flood Mitigation; Class Sizes Remaining “Comfortable”; Andersons Plead Guilty in CES Charity Thefts; Local Woman Receives Patent for Fish Waste Disposal System FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The KSRM News Department compiled some of the top stories from this past week. Overall KPBSD Update Very Positive, Cooper Landing Bypass Achieves New Milestone, Gabriel Named Kenai’s Vice Mayor, GCI Confirms Details of ACS Wireless Purchase Tuesday 12/2 Wednesday 12/3 Governor Walker Inaugurated, New Health Commissioner Named, School Discipline Down, Assembly Simplifies “Non Controversial” Ordinances. Soldotna’s Christmas in the Park this Saturday, Superintendent’s Position Still in Limbo, Cameron Carter Celebrated as Man of Integrity and Passion, Public Help Wanted in Kasilof Attempted Burglary, State Publishes New Pot Report Malston To Appear in Court on Embezzlement Charges, Voter Initiative on Grocery Taxes to Appear 2015, Kenai Municipal Park Improvements Handed Over to Council, Two North Road Extension Options in the Works, New Book Tells Story of Funny River Fire Puppies Thursday 12/4last_img read more

first_imgWhy Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Tags:#NYT#search#web Related Posts rick turoczy 1 Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hostingcenter_img A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… While the majority of our day-to-day searches are easily handled by our favorite search engine, there are always those intensive searches that have you jumping from site to site – or opening a series of tabs – to find a good cross-section of information on a given topic. Even once you’ve established a preferred workflow for this kind of comprehensive searching, it can be time consuming to run through the process. Wouldn’t it be easier if you could simply enter one query and have it run through a bunch of search sites? Of course it would. And that’s what makes Search.io so appealing. It’s a meta search engine that searches a variety of sites – grouped by topic – and displays them as tabs to help you find information more quickly and easily.To use Search.io, simply enter your search term and select your specific area of interest. Topics range from the default “search engines” to “blogs” to “torrents.” There’s even a search for popular “Web 2.0” sites. And for the more voyeuristic types, there’s a listing of the latest searches.While some of the tab sets seem to be stretching it a bit – I’m pretty sure the last time I cared about finding information in Alta Vista or Lycos was some time in the last century – the concept has a great deal of potential. In fact, I’ve already added a couple of the search options to my toolbar – like the people and social bookmarks searches – and I’m going to keep using them to see if they speed my searches. I’m sure that once I’ve been using the service for a while, I’ll find some ways to employ creative queries that will streamline my searching even further.To test drive tabbed search for yourself, visit Search.io. 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Marketlast_img read more

first_imgProsecutors upgraded charges for the 19-year-old accused of killing a 13-year-old in east Columbia.Cameron White is now accused of second degree murder.Court documents say he admitted to shooting Dajion Harris at about midnight Sunday on Rice Road. White also apparently said he and Harris were getting high when Harris showed White some guns. White allegedly said Harris then asked White to shoot him.last_img

OSU senior forward Marc Loving (2) looks down the court to redshirt junior guard Kam Williams (15) during the Buckeyes 78-68 win over Navy on Nov. 11. Credit: Alexa Mavrogianis | Photo EditorAn upset was not in the cards for the Ohio State men’s basketball team, as the Buckeyes fell to the No. 2 UCLA Bruins 86-73 in the CBS Sports Classic in Las Vegas. After matching pace with UCLA throughout the first half, the Buckeyes fell victim to the up-tempo Bruins offense and the big-play ability of freshman guard Lonzo Ball. Despite 15 team turnovers, an eight point, nine assist and nine rebound performance by Ball powered the Bruins’ 12th win.OSU was led by senior forward Marc Loving, who knocked down 7-of-11 shots, including a 3-for-6 mark from deep to rack up 19 points. Junior forward Jae’Sean Tate added 15 points, but was a non-factor in rebounding and assists, picking up just two boards and one assist.Holding true to its defensive efforts all season, UCLA struggled to limit open looks at the basket for the Buckeyes. As a team, OSU went 29-for-62 from the field, but struggled to find the mark from deep for the second-straight game.The lack of outside production (20.8 percent from 3), paired with 18 turnovers, doomed the Buckeyes down the stretch. OSU was able to grab a 26-25 lead with 6:30 remaining in the first with a bullet pass from sophomore guard JaQuan Lyle to junior forward Keita Bates-Diop that led to a wide-open layup. Bates-Diop finished with 13 points, while Lyle hit just one of his eight shot attempts.However, starting the second half, a 7-0 run by the Bruins two  minutes into the period pushed UCLA out in front, and left OSU scrambling to try and catch back up. The Buckeyes did themselves no favors, turning the ball over 10 times in the second, and fouling the Bruins 15 times.Late in the game, after pulling within six points, OSU allowed multiple open looks for UCLA, and the Buckeyes failed to make a field goal in the last 4:05.UCLA sophomore guard Aaron Holiday and senior guard Bryce Alford each poured in 20 points, with five steals from the sophomore guard.With the loss, The Buckeyes are now 8-3 this season. UCLA is still perfect, now with a 12-0 mark this year.OSU returns to Columbus Tuesday to face Youngstown State at 7 p.m. The Penguins are 6-6, and are coming off a 101-97 victory over Niagara University. read more