first_imgTURIN, Italy (AP): Mario Mandzukic often scores important goals and he did so again as he helped Juventus to a 1-0 win over title rivals Inter Milan in the Derby d’Italia yesterday. The imposing Croatia striker headed home in the 66th minute after Inter had missed a couple of golden opportunities as Juventus continued their seemingly unstoppable march to an eighth successive Serie A title. Juventus have an 11-point lead over second-placed Napoli, which host lowly Frosinone today. Third-place Inter are now 14 points behind Juventus. Paulo Dybala had the first chance of the match but headed Cristano Ronaldo’s cross over the bar after drifting into the penalty area. Inter had two great chances in quick succession. Mauro Icardi did well to hold the ball up and pick out a good run from an unmarked Roberto Gagliardini, but his scuffed finish came off the inside of the right post. Moments later Icardi and Ivan Perisic both went for a Matteo Politano cross and ended up colliding with each other. Juventus began to take control and Marcelo Brozovic had to desperately slide in to block Rodrigo Bentancur’s effort. Veteran defender Giorgio Chiellini scored his first goal in two years in last week’s 3-0 win at Fiorentina and he almost got another one, but he headed the resulting corner narrowly over. Juventus finally broke the deadlock when former Inter midfielder Joao Cancelo put in a delightful cross from the left for Mandzukic – who netted in the World Cup final defeat to France – to nod in at the far post. There was more positive news for Juventus, as midfielder Emre Can came on late on for his first appearance for the Bianconeri since October 6, having undergone surgery to have a thyroid nodule removed.last_img read more

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: John Jackson greets a Christmas that he wasn’t sure he’d seeEdison removed the previous aerie Nov. 1, saying it was overflowing with combustible material that posed a fire hazard. That outraged Orr and other regular bird watchers who said in the past Edison had always called the Nature Center and advised officials there before doing work anywhere near the nest. Paul Klein, a spokesman for Edison, said company officials are aware of the hawk’s rebuilding efforts but have no immediate plans to interrupt it at this time. “The old nest was very large and posed a hazard to our equipment,” he said. “Now, since they’re just starting to build it, it’s not too big. We are in touch with the Nature Center about the next steps, but we have no plans to do anything now.” Ray Jillson, one of the “bird walk” guides at the Nature Center, said the hawks’ tower-top nest had been part of his tour for years. He said he has followed the birds’ patterns closely. Red-tailed hawks, which mate for life, will commonly return to the same nest every year unless it has been destroyed, he said. • Video: Hawks rebuild nestWHITTIER NARROWS – Two red-tailed hawks are busy rebuilding their home atop a Southern California Edison power tower, only weeks after utility workers destroyed the birds’ 16-year-old nest. Local bird watcher Lou Orr said he has been observing the two hawks at the Whittier Narrows Nature Center for more than 10 years and recently spotted them circling near the tower. “They’d been there eye-balling it daily for probably a week or two,” Orr said. “But I hadn’t noticed them building until Tuesday. They’re just getting started, but they’re working real hard at it. Some of the sticks still have green leaves on them.” “Well, these two \ have been there for so long, it’s their home,” Jillson said. “Edison has suggested building a platform on a pole, but the problem is, the birds won’t use it. “And many of those platforms aren’t strong enough – those nests get massive,” he added. Native birds of prey are protected, along with their active nests, by the 1918 Migratory Bird Treaty Act, according to Mickey Long, natural areas administrator for the Los Angeles County Department of Parks and Recreation. When Long mentioned that last month, Edison officials responded by saying the utility has a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service that allows it to remove nests as long as it is done during the off-season when the birds are away. Red-tailed hawks usually build their nests and fledge their chicks about this time of year, Long said. “It takes a few weeks of work to build the nests. It’s a pretty thick structure,” he said. [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3029 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

first_img TOP WORK LIVE on talkSPORT Belgium attacker Kevin De Bruyne says the poor run of form is not something that interests him when speaking ahead of the eagerly-anticipated showdown.“I don’t care,” replied De Bruyne. “A lot of circumstances will decide the game. What can a player do with statistics like this?“It’s a game like another. We know it’s a big game – Liverpool are ahead.“We have to go back, recover and be ready.” Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion “As with all Premier League fixtures at Anfield, we will have officers on duty at the ground, both uniformed and plain clothed, supported by mobile CCTV, provided by Liverpool City Council, and specialist resources including the Dog Section, mounted police and the National Police Air Service,” the statement continued.“We will also have a city-centre policing plan in place throughout the day. This is standard procedure.“We know that this will be a busy operation and we hope that fans attending the match will act as ambassadors for their clubs.“As usual we would ask fans with tickets to arrive at the ground as early as possible.“Fans without tickets should not attend at all; they will not be allowed entry into the stadium.” SORRY 3 A social media post doing the rounds ahead of Sunday’s Premier League showdown The team coach carrying Pep Guardiola’s men to Merseyside was pelted with cans and bottles when the two sides met in the Champions League.Flares were also unleashed by hundreds of fans who lined the streets outside the stadium.City were forced to seek an alternative vehicle for their return trip to Manchester, such was the damage caused to the coach.No arrests were made in connection with the incident, as Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp was forced to apologise for the ‘idiots’ involved in the melee.Speaking ahead of this weekend’s encounter, Klopp addressed the matter again, commenting: “If someone from City is concerned still, it’s our fault. LATEST Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? Gerrard launches furious touchline outburst as horror tackle on Barisic sparks chaos “We all didn’t throw a bottle, but it was one of us. All of us have to make sure that something like that never happens again.“We will do everything to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”Meanwhile, the manager says he hopes to meet stricken Reds fan Sean Cox before Sunday’s encounter.The 54-year-old, who will attend this weekend’s clash with his family, was left with devastating brain injuries after being attacked by a group of Roma supporters before the sides’ Champions League clash last April. TWITTER “Something like this should not happen around a football game. I hope to see him before the game, I really want to,” he added.“When it happened it was my lowest point at Liverpool. We don’t just sing You’ll Never Walk Alone, we live that.”City head into the game six points behind their title rivals and the record books do not sway in their favour.Pep Guardiola’s men have not won at Anfield since 2003 — and their last victory before that was Boxing Day 1981. appointed ‘I’ll get him’ – Robertson further endears himself to fans with revenge vow to Mane MOST READ IN FOOTBALL 3 Twitter Bottles were thrown at the coach during the melee Liverpool transfer news live: Mbappe latest, Lille star wants to join Reds in future Check out all the live commentaries coming up across the talkSPORT network this week Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Steve Round reveals how Mikel Arteta convinced him to join Arsenal staff The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 latest 3 Manchester City fear there will be a repeat of their bus attack at Anfield in April 2018 when they face Liverpool this weekend.The reigning Premier League champions are concerned at the manner and volume of social media posts promising a hostile greeting upon their arrival in Merseyside this weekend.However, Merseyside Police have assured City chiefs, who raised concerns about the prospect of another unsavoury incident, that a ‘comprehensive and appropriate’ operation will be in place for the top-of-the-table clash.A statement from Superintendent Paul White read: “As with any match, a comprehensive and appropriate policing operation has been put in place ahead of Sunday’s game and we have liaised with both clubs and their supporter groups.“We are aware of one poster on social media regarding a bus welcome.“The corresponding last fixture ran smoothly and we are working to ensure this game can be enjoyed safely by all as well as minimising any disruption to local residents and roads.” scrap Chelsea vs Crystal Palace (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORTNottingham Forest vs Derby (Saturday, 12:30pm) – talkSPORT 2Southampton vs Everton (Saturday, 3pm) – talkSPORT 2Leicester vs Arsenal (Saturday, 5:30pm) – talkSPORTCardiff vs Bristol City (Sunday, 12pm) – talkSPORT 2 getty images revealed Sean Cox will be back at Anfield for the first time since being attacked by a group of Roma fans PAYBACK last_img read more